– Over 220 at cheerleading competition fall ill with norovirus.
– The outbreak likely started when a participant showed up at the competition while ill.
– Health officials believe that the outbreak grew because affected individuals vomited in public.
– Chlorine bleach can inactivate norovirus; Quaternary ammonia (quats) are not recommended because the aren’t effective.
– A 5,000 ppm (25 tablespoons 5.25% bleach per gallon of water). bleach solution should be applied to soiled areas for at least 4 minutes.
Click here to download this food safety infosheet.